How to Maintain a Healthy EMPIRE Zoysia Lawn
Every one of our turfgrass brand pages has a general maintenance guideline sheet that can be easily downloaded. However, maintenance practices change slightly based on location and soil type. We strongly recommend seeking a professional recommendation from your local extension office or landscape supply store to ensure that you are properly maintaining your lawn based on the requirements of your area and soil type.
Some things to keep in mind are:
- Sandy soils usually require more water to keep the turf healthy because sand drains faster than clay or heavier soils.
- As a general rule, the further south you are, the longer your growing season, which means that your lawn may require increased fertilization.
- Grass in partial shade will remain wet longer than grass in full sun and watering should be adjusted accordingly.
- Over-watering can be just as harmful as under-watering because grass that stays moist all of the time is at high risk of fungus and disease.
- If you see your grass turning brown during the growing season you most likely have a turfgrass disease or insect issue. See our guidelines for instructions on how to identify and treat.